Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Steven's letter Feb 16

Dear family
Hey how is everyone’s week going? Its going pretty good here. I got transferred. Im in Little Rock now. And I got switched to Spanish speaking. There are 4 spanish elders in Little Rock, 16 in the mission. It’s a lot different than classroom Spanish was. My companion has only been out 6 weeks. His name is Elder Contreras. He came out with Elder Kelly. He is from mexico though so he is a native Spanish speaker. Its been a pretty crazy week for me. I cant understand a whole lot of what is being said. I’ve asked a few of the other missionaries how long it took them to get to where they could understand everything that is going on in the lessons. They said about a month. I hope it doesn’t take me that long. I can understand more when other missionaries are talking than I can when the investigators are talking. The missionaries talk slower. I’m excited to be learning Spanish though. It will be a huge blessing even after the mission. We are working with a few families that are very close to being baptized. There are a couple families who want to be baptized, but the parents aren’t married. They know they need to get married though and they want to be baptized. I think they will be baptized really soon. I am Loving serving in the Hispanic communities though. The people are very humble and easy to talk to. Hopefully pretty soon I will be able to help Elder Contreras teach. So far I have mostly been sitting and listening, saying prayers, and reading scriptures. Well thanks again for the package. I’m not sure what my address is, and neither is my companion. I’ll have to find that out. You can send anything to the mission office though and then they will forward it on to me. Its
905 Kierre Dr.
North Little Rock, AR 72116
I hope you have a great week
Love Elder Marshall

O so missionary story. So like I already said, I don’t understand a lot of what is being said during the lessons. Well its been really neat because even though I don’t understand, I can still feel the spirit really strong while we are talking to people. Like two days ago. We were talking to a guy named Jose Hernandez (there are a lot of Jose s :) I could tell they were talking about the gospel of Jesus Christ, about how we need to have faith in Jesus Christ, Repent, be baptized, receive the gift of the holy Ghost, and endure to the end. I kept on feeling like we needed to ask him to be baptized. Well at the end of the lesson Elder Contreras asked him to be baptized. He said yes. No hesitating or anything. It was Awesome. He is getting baptized on the 27th. We are both pretty excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment